Aug 30, 2008

The reel way to walk a dog

Janet and I took our family's new dog, Duke Ellington Wiley, on a walk last night. It was the first time that I'd used the nifty retractable leash that I'd picked up for him. (The handle is pink, which galls me, and I can't imagine how much it embarrasses Duke, but it was the only one in the right size at the store at the time, and I didn't want to wait.)

Those nifty retractable leashes are harder to handle than I expected. I immediately let out all of the leash, and at the first corner, Duke wrapped it around the telephone pole. While finishing the unwinding, I dropped the handle, and Duke took off. He was quickly at the heels of another couple (dogless) who were out walking.

"First day with the new leash," Janet explained. The couple took it in stride. Well, actually, they had to break stride so as not to trip on Duke, but what I mean is, they were good about it.

I captured Duke after a few attempts. He and the handle were both easier to er, handle after a long walk.

Keith, Ya Goof!

No comments: