Jan 3, 2007

Ever find yourself pretending you're not yourself?

Mike, Mike and Danica

I'm a big fan of "Mike & Mike," the morning show on ESPN radio. Ethan and I often catch a bit of it as I'm driving him to school. This morning, Mike Greenberg (not to be confused with co-host Mike Golic) shared this story about a recent vacation (the text below is lifted from the site Mike-Greenberg.com):

I want to tell one quick story about my vacation. When Golic gets back tomorrow, we’ll tell some more stories about our vacations, but here’s something that only I could do. I was on the island of St. John in the Caribbean on my vacation - beautiful, by the way, I could not recommend it more - and my family, we went to the beach away from our hotel. We were staying in one hotel, a resort, that had its own beach, but there’s a beach there called Trunk Bay, which has been voted one of the ten most beautiful beaches in the world. So we packed up the family into the car and we drove over there. We’re at the beach, which is as far away on the island as you can be from your hotel, but it’s a very small island, so it’s not that far. So while I’m there, I’m playing with my kids, and a guy comes over to me, friendly, very friendly, nice as can be, and says, did anyone ever tell you you look just like that guy from ESPN, Mike Greenberg? Now, had he said, “Are you Mike Greenberg?”, I would have just said yes, and shaken his hand, and gone on with my day, and that would have been the end of it. But somehow in that moment, I just said, no, I’ve never heard that before, and he just sort of nodded and walked away. I figured, alright, whatever, it’s a moment that is not going to be that significant to either of us. I went on about my day, and he went on about his. This is, mind you, our second day on our vacation. Later that day, we go back to our resort, where we’re spending the entire week, and the guy is sitting at the table next to me having breakfast. The guy is sitting there, so now I have to duck this guy the entire week! The entire week I have to stay away from this guy, or he’s going to think, “what a jerk this guy is! I went over to him on the beach, and he refused to acknowledge who he was.” It ruined four days of my vacation, until his family finally left. This is the kind of thing that could only happen to a doofus such as myself.

To Mike Greenberg we say "Happy New Year!"

And, of course: Ya Goof!

No comments: