Jun 1, 2006

A story that does and doesn't belong here

Nearly every morning on the way to work, I pass Blair County Ballpark and cross Frankstown Road to get onto Interstate 99. So if you've ever gone to a Curve game and left in that direction, you can picture the spot.

The morning before yesterday, a van was ahead of me as we entered that intersection. The light had just turned green. One car rolled through from Frankstown Hill, apparently running the red light. I sucked in a breath at how close that car was cutting it to the van ahead of me.

Then another car ran the light.

Through all of this, the van just kept rolling forward, so the driver must not even have noticed the two cars flying her way from the right.

The second car hit the van and tore off the front of it. The impact pushed the van a bit to the right, and the other car ended up on the side of the road just past the intersection. I was already moving through the intersection. I steered around the van and pulled over on the interstate entrance ramp. I ran back to the cars to see if the drivers needed any help, if only from being shaken up.

Ironically, I had a brand-new cell phone in my car that was charged but not yet programmed. My first cell phone. Yes, there are some cell-less people left.

The two drivers were cordial to each other. Neither was hurt, just rattled. To add to the irony, each had a cell phone that wasn't working. Another car had pulled over, and I went to that driver, who had a working cell phone. She called 911.

An officer got there quickly. If you haven't been in an accident that leaves vehicles undrivable (or at least not for a while), the first two questions are: "Is anyone hurt?" and "Who do you want to have tow your car?" Just in case you want to call a towing service to mind and feel more prepared out there on the mean streets ...

I wasn't needed any more, and I went on my way, feeling sympathy mingle with ... well, gratitude at being able to be on my way.

I won't say "Ya Goof" to anyone involved. Things in life go wrong, but some of them rise above the level of a goof. They end up making you grateful for the things that are merely goofs.

No comments: