Jun 12, 2006

"M" is for My Bad

I was a storyteller tonight for the Vacation Bible School that our church is holding with another church. I met with four groups and told the story of Jesus feeding the crowd of 5,000 with one boy's lunch of five loaves and two fish.

To bring the story home to the kids, I told each group that I brought a snack for all fifty kids in the Bible School: a single M & M (I guess that would that just be one "M"). I asked who would like to break up the M so that every child could have as much as they wanted. I asked another child to collect the leftovers. Impossible? You betcha.

It worked pretty well until the last group, the four- and five-year-olds. When I pulled out the one M, looking might lonely in a zip-lock bag, one boy started to cry.

"That's not fair!"

I had to do some fast apologizing and adapting. For one thing, I gave the boy the first chance to act out an animal in a game of charades that I had worked into the story. He perked up at that.

I whispered into his ear to tell him the animal he was to portray.

"Giraffe."

He nodded, so I knew he'd heard me, but he signaled that he was going to whisper to me.

"How do I act like a giraffe?"

I helped him out. I raised his arm up beside his head. It worked. Whew.

The illustration went well otherwise, but still, for not thinking of a way to make it foolproof:

Keith, Ya Goof!

No comments: