May 13, 2006

We'll get the hang of this TV thing yet

Last Thursday was voting day on American Inventor. If you haven't watched the show, learn about it here.

The consensus family choice was Janusz Liberkowski, inventor of the Anecia Survival Capsule, a promising advancement in child safety seats. So when the show was done, I dialed the number set aside for him, 1-866-U-PICK-04, and I instructed the boys to hit redial until we had used up our maximum of five votes per phone number. I went up to bed to read.

They came up shortly and said, "Dad, you dialed the number to vote for Matt Galant." (Matt Galant is the host of the show.)

"Huh?"

"You dialed 1-866-U-PICK-05." They gleefully showed me this on the phone's digital display.

Dad, Ya—

Oh, but wait a second: Today, we were talking about the show, and I double-checked that the guys used all of our votes for Janusz.

"Yeah," said Ethan, "and then I called five times for Erik (another contestant)."

"Well, only the first five calls will count," I said. "There's a limit of five calls per number."

"Erik was number 1."

"Five calls per phone number."

"See?" Emmett said. "I told ya."

So I'm not the only one who can't follow Reality TV instructions.

Dad and Ethan, Ya Goofs!

No comments: