Apr 17, 2006

A neck-cellent ending

Here's a goof that happened during our Easter trip to visit my family in Vermont.

A bunch of us were sitting around yakking about the past. I happened to think of something that we used to do as kids at our grandparents' house, when the whole clan gathered: we would leg wrestle. Two wrestlers lie on their backs, hip to hip, facing opposite directions. On the count of one, each swings his inside leg up, then down. Same on the count of two. On the count of three, the wrestlers lock inside legs and try to flip each other. My long-legged older cousin Valerie always used to flip me.

I called in Ethan and Emmett, and the whole group of us set about teaching them how to do it. Bad idea. Ethan made a strong move, and Emmett, who had no idea what to expect, rolled straight backward and cried out in serious pain. There was some swelling at the base of his neck. Nothing to fool around with, so we took him to the emergency room (at the hospital where I was born, I might add).




Thankfully, he was fine. Not to diminish our concern for him, but I must say: Dad, Ya Goof!

P.S. This goof introduced us to something new. The hospital examining room had this cool kids' wall puzzle unit that had pieces behind clear plastic that you move around with magnetic "handles." First time we'd seen something like that. I spent a long time trying to arrange the pieces to spell Emmett's nickname, "Tug," and Tug himself finished it up:


No comments: