May 29, 2006

Oh, the Pastabilities!

There's a new restaurant in town: The Pastaria.

We'd heard it was a new concept. At our first visit, it felt like a new concept. There were some moments of confusion about how it all worked. Okay, many moments of confusion.

What makes this YaGoof! material? Well, if the concept doesn't work, some will say to the operators: Ya Goofs!

Our party (including all four of us in Team EEK!) was divided about our experience. One point of view was: This is cool! Now I kind of get how it works, and I'll be back! This place has a chance!

Another point of view was: This bites! Now I kind of get how it works, but if they don't fix X, Y and Z, I won't be back, and they're doomed!

Here is a transcript (sort of) of our visit:

Oops, no cars in the parking lot! They're not open?
Sure they're open! The lights are on!
That signs says "Aperto?" Does that mean "Open"?
Yeah, in Spanish.
No, "Open" in Spanish is "Abra."
Wouldn't "Aperto" be Italian? This is a pasta place.
I can see why they wouldn't want to put "A Bra" on the door.
Well, it would attract some people.
There's people in there. Let's go in.
This guy greeting us must be one of the owners. Friendly.
He's telling us how to order. That's nice.
On the other hand, is ordering so hard that you need to be trained?
So we choose one kind of pasta, two edibles and a gravy.
Gravy? Don't they mean "sauce"?
It's just they're way of saying "sauce." See, they also say "Pastabilities."
And we can choose a booth or a table in the family room or eat sitting on a couch.
Eat pasta on a couch? Isn't that asking for trouble?
Imagine having to clean pasta stains out of a couch.
And if you want meat, it's $2.00 more.
Of course I want meat! Everyone wants meat! Everyone will have to pay $2.00 more. It's a crime!
Everyone will have to pay $2.00 more! It's brilliant!
Okay, this ordering thing is taking some time to sink in. It's a good thing other people aren't in line behind us.
Oops, here come some more people. Think, think! What do I want?
I think I'll just take one of the pre-fabricated dishes.
Okay, these chef guys taking the orders need to pay more attention to what we say. We've had to repeat everything to them.
On the other hand, we could enunciate much better, too.
But they'll be other customers who don't even enunciate as well as we do.
What did you say? Stop mumbling.
Is the salad included? It is?
How about the bread? Is it included? It is?
Hmm. So these are not fast-food prices, but the dishes are plastic.
That's because you can either eat here or take the food to go. They can't give you food to go on china.
Hmpf. If I'm paying this much, I want real plates.
I asked for meatballs and got sausage.
I asked for pepperoni and didn't get any.
Oh, so you have a sign for Discover, but Discover isn't working yet? I'm glad I have a Visa, too.
Wait a minute, the gal already rung us up, and didn't charge for the pepperoni that had to be added afterward. Oh, well ...
So the drink case is after the cash register? That's not real smart.
Oh, will you stop talking about wanting real plates?
Well, I'm just saying ...
Look, you get a decent amount of food. We can just split an order the next time.
... I'm just saying that they're not going to give real plates, they can't charge those prices.
You gotta love any place that has a TV playing.
This table is kind of narrow. Where do we put the trays?
How about up here on the window sill?
But look, they stick out.
I need another knife ... fork ... spoon ...
Is there butter for the bread, Mr. Owner? Oh, it's already in the bread? Thanks!
Now that he's walked away, I still want butter.
If I don't like this sausage that I didn't ask for, I'll give it to you.
I already have some, and I like it, but I'm not going to have room for yours.
Hey, this food is good!
Just too expensive.
Two words: Entree-splitting.
And it's on plastic. It's just doesn't match the decor.
The decor is pretty nice, all right. These booth seats are really comfortable.
Maybe too comfortable. People will stay all day. Will they turn over customers like they need to?
People could come in and buy a dollar soda and sit on a couch and watch TV all day.
But they don't give refills.
I have to get a lid to take the rest of this to go. Let me out.
Geez, did you get enough take-out bags?
Well, the dispenser thing just gave me too many!
Hey, now I have pride in being a trained Pastaria customer! It's like a badge of honor!
That's not a good thing.
Shh! Keep your voice down. Mr. Owner is coming back around.
Hey, at least we don't have to tip.

So you get the idea of what our meal was like, and the division in our ranks. We strongly recommend going or not going to the Pastria and confidently predict that you will like it or not like it. Furthermore, please cut them slack or come down on them like a hammer.

No comments: