Sep 2, 2008

It's not the lack of power or the humiliation, its the lack of power AND the humiliation

I set up a computer monitor for the Library this weekend. It took about four times as long as it should have.

When I plugged it in, and went to push the power button, it appeared that there *was* no button. Yes, the icons were there, but there was no actual button--nothing to depress.

I tried plugging the monitor into an outlet that I knew was working--because there was a lit lamp in it--and still there was nothing.

Seeing no alternative, I packed the thing up and took it to Best Buy, where Janet had bought it. The Geek Squad member on duty, took hold of it in that way that communicates (intentionally or not) I-will-bring-my-superior-knowledge-and-intelligence-to-bear-on-this-puny-matter, and (naturally), the monitor lit up right away. It immediately occurred to me that I may have incorrectly inserted the end of the power cord into the monitor.

"Okay, I see it's working," I said, "I have to get going (which was true). I just want to pack it up as quickly as possible and get out of here." I was in no mood for geekly explanations or explorations.

"Do you know what they did?" Janet said. I made a face which made her drop the question.

We had to pause at the door for the Blue Polo on Duty to check our receipt, which thankfully we had at the ready.

Back at the Library, I made sure to insert the power cord correctly, and there was still no sign of life from the monitor. I took a closer look at the power strip and flipped that little switch with the line on one end and the broken circle thingy on the other. The power strip came to life and so did the monitor.

I'm not crazy about the no-button buttons. Sure, it makes for a sleek look, but whenever you pick up the monitor (which will be frequently in this case, because the laptop to which it's attached will be routinely detached for use), you activate one of the buttons.

Keith, Ya Goof.

No comments: