Jul 19, 2006

I brake for fruit!

Here's a story I just heard from my old college roommate, Phil. This took place during his work toward a second degree after graduating with me.

I was really broke. After eating pasta for two weeks straight, I got a paycheck from my part- time IBM job and splurged on groceries. I especially looked forward to a dessert of ice cream and cantaloupe, which was very expensive in the middle of winter.

Driving home in my crappy Volkswagen Beetle, my groceries tipped over. This normally wouldn’t have been an issue. But the week before, my foot went through the floor while I was routing tubing from the heating ducts at the engine up to the front seat, because the normal heat ducts had rusted closed. I looked out the rear view mirror and sure enough, there was my cantaloupe rolling down the street behind me.

I stopped and pulled it out of the ditch, broken but still edible. Dessert had never been so sweet.

Salvaging runaway cantaloupe is one thing. But for leaving groceries the chance to fall out the bottom of your car, we say: Phil, Ya Goof!

No comments: