May 22, 2006

YaGoof! goes to Washington

Haven't posted in a while! Sorry! Janet and I just got back from Book Expo America, the nation's biggest annual book trade show, held this year in Washington, DC. We went as library director (Janet), library volunteer (me), and as authors (both of us). Yes, a long weekend without kids! They were back home with Gram.

For this forum, the main thing is our goofs during the trip. This will take a number of installments. Here goes:

1. As we neared Washington DC, my navigator (Janet) was not functioning (i.e., asleep), and I got off course. When she stirred, I was just starting to realize that we were headed toward Missouri, or thereabouts. We ended up entering Washington through Arlington.

2. One of the great things about the show is FREE BOOKS! The show is for promotion, after all. Publishers hand out samples right and left. Janet totally went out of control. At one point, we walked different parts of the show, and when I found Janet again, she was dragging two full bags (companies also give out a lot of promotional totes at the show). I had two bags myself, and I took everything to the car. Let's just say that I couldn't exactly stride along smoothly. I weighed similarly-loaded bags later, and the contents came to 84 pounds. All together, we brought home 289 pounds of books and about another 40 in promotional literature.

(to be continued, gotta go!)

No comments: